Things you need to know
- Cats like familiarity, and are easily frightened by strange places or smells. Make sure they always have their own safe hiding places to go if they’re feeling scared.
- If you want to keep your cat indoors, British Shorthairs are a good breed, but they will need plenty of toys to make up for not being able to go outside and hunt
- Cats have an average lifespan of more than 12 years
- Expenses of £20 per week
- Average lifetime cost of £12.4K
Diet & Exercise
- Cats need a meat-based diet of dry and wet food to stay fit and healthy
- Cats sleep for 12 to 18 hours a day, but enjoy being active when awake. If they can’t go outside, lots of indoor play will get them moving.
- Cats suit owners with busy lifestyles as they need less attention than dogs
- Cats, especially males, can be solitary animals so don’t get one if you want lots of cuddles
- Medium – Cats can be loners, but they still require love and attention
- Cats can be quite demanding, so don’t count on many lie-ins!